With most people using mobile devices of some sort, be it a phone, laptop or tablet, the app market has skyrocketed!
Apps do all kinds of things. Many offer functions like making lists and doing elaborate calculations. Some are games, and more and more are simply made to share information.
Why Make Apps?
More and more people are using mobile devices on a daily basis.
The Savvy Sleuth’s informal findings by viewing this site’s Google’s Analytic ‘s findings, found that on average 77% of the new SavvySleuth.com users per day accessed the site via a mobile device!
That’s a staggering number of visitors who could potentially use an app to easily access current deal information.
The desire to make this site better led the Savvy Sleuth to research how to make apps for free.
Lots of sites came up with things that looked good, but for one reason or another missed the mark. Then the Savvy Sleuth came upon an article by Roger Cheng, writer for Cnet.com. The article, How to Build Your Own App for Free , talks about one reputible company, Conduit Mobile, who offer a FREE app making service.
The beauty of Conduit Mobile’s app builder is that you don’t have to know anything about building an app by writing code.
They do all that work for you!
App Building With Conduit Mobile
While not perfect for everyone, Conduit Mobile’s free app building service is perfect for individuals, businesses, organizations (schools, non-profit, bands…), and blogs to get their information shared via mobile devices.
Adding icons for Twitter, Facebook and YouTube is easy and customization is easy.
You can add photos, music, RSS feeds and more! All this with the option to publish your app to the app stores of your choosing, and options to post links to your app on Facebook, Twitter, your homepage, and share via QR code.
That’s a whole lot of good stuff for FREE!
How To Make Apps For Free With Conduit
To get started making the free app go to Conduit Mobile and enter your website or blog’s link.
The Conduit Mobile site will then begin ‘Preparing Your App’, searching for relevant content on your site like Facebook and Twitter profile information. While attempting to put together an app for the Savvy Sleuth, no content was discovered. If this happens to you don’t fret, as you’ll have the option to enter that information manually later.
You’ll be taken to a page that says ‘Let’s Get Started’. It looks like this:
Conduit Mobile: Start Page for Building Free App
Next comes the fun part!
You get to design your own app choosing what content to include and how you want it to look with color scheme and layout options. You can add page upon page of content, and try out your app before it’s even published via links sent to you by email or QR reader code.
Checking your app mid-build is a good way to see what works and what doesn’t. If you’re not happy with it, keep tweaking until you are and then you can publish it.
A really useful feature of this process is being able to view your app as it would appear on an Apple device -iPhone or iPad, Android devices, Windows Phone and Blackberry. This is great because something that works on one may look really bad on another – so check ’em all before you publish your app!
Regarding advertising, you choose whether to put advertising on your app during the building process. If you do, you will conceivably make a bit of money when users click through the ads. You can also choose not to have ads on your app.
Don't Click 'Generate' Until Satisfied With App
When you are done and think your app is ready to be published, click ‘Generate Mobile app’. You are then set to begin sharing your FREE app!
A Few Words…
The Savvy Sleuth isn’t making any money off throwing you Conduit Mobile’s way, but will be offering the Savvy Sleuth app built by Conduit very soon, and hopes you’ll take advantage of it to stay up to date on clues to online deals for you!
Helpful Conduit Mobile Info
Creating a Conduit App : Conduit’s YouTube videos which offer up info on the specifics of how to make a free app.
Why choose Conduit Mobile to build your FREE app? : Explains Conduit Mobile’s perks as a maker and benefits to you as a user of their FREE app building service.
Check out Google Talk HERE.
Between cell phones and land-lines there is a new frontier – at least to some of us – whereby you make calls over the Internet for FREE.
During 2012 (apparently it’s been offered in previous years and was going to cost you, but the ‘freebie’ has been extended…) calls made within the USA and Canada are FREE using Google Talk! International calls are heavily discounted and you can add credits to your Google Talk account in $10 increments.
What Do I Need to Get Started?
1. A high-speed, stable Internet connection is best, but even 56K dial-up supports Google Talk. Since your calls will be made over the Internet, you don’t want an intermittent connection which will mess up your calls.
2. A Gmail account. Google Talk uses Gmail as a gateway to make Internet calls. If you have people in your contact list with their phone numbers added, you can call them by clicking the green telephone receiver next to their name or you can add any number manually on the keypad that pops up in Gmail to make a call.
3. A quality USB or microphone/headset jack enabled headset. Ideally you want something comfortable that allows for the clearest voice recognition going both ways. The Savvy Sleuth finds this Plantronics one works well for clear calls: Plantronics .Audio 478 Stereo USB Headset (.Audio 478)
Why Call with Google Talk ?
- It’s FREE to make long-distance calls within the US (assuming you are in the US) or Canada (if you are in Canada).
- It’s EASY TO USE Google Talk’s features and set-up your own number where people can call you and you can have the calls forwarded to up to 6 other phones including your mobile, home and work numbers.
- You can CHOOSE YOUR PHONE NUMBER or have your current number ported to Google Talk. If you choose your own number you can have a number in your area code, or an area code where your number is a local call for friends and family – even if you’re not in that area code!
- It has FREE VOICEMAIL which you can access via a 4 digit code you set.
How To Make a Google Talk Phone Call:
- Set up a GMAIL account, if you don’t already have one.
- Download and install Google Talk on the computer you’ll be using to make your Google Talk calls. You can also install the Google Talk Video Chat feature. Video Chat requires: Windows XP or later, or Mac OS X 10.4 + Linux.
- Restart your computer once Google Talk is installed, and sign-into your Gmail account.
- In the lower left hand area of the Gmail page there is an area with the header ‘Chat’. You should see a green telephone icon with ‘Call Phone’ next to it.
- Click on ‘Call Phone’.
- A virtual keypad will appear in the lower right hand area of your Gmail screen. Type in the number you wish to call. NOTE: There is a flag icon to the left of the place where you enter the number and you can change it to make international calls. You will need to add credits to your Google Talk account for the call to make international calls and can do so by clicking the blue $ within the upper right hand side of the keypad area. Check international Google Talk rates .
- Plug in your headset with microphone (USB type will require drivers or be installed automatically depending upon your OS).
- Click blue ‘Call’ button at bottom of keypad. You will hear ringing (as though you were making a phone call any other way…), but may hear 1 or 2 rings prior to the call recipient’s phone ringing. The Savvy Sleuth found this to be true when testing both home and cell number calls from Google Talk.
- When you are through with your call, click the red telephone icon in the upper left hand corner of the keypad to hang up. Your call duration will be recorded and displayed. You can view your call history in your keypad view by clicking on the icon that looks like an analog clock face.
Google Talk Keypad
Prior to making your calls you can set up your own Google Number. Check out these tips prior to making your number selection, as once the number is linked to your Gmail account it can’t be changed.
If you don’t set-up a Google Number, a default location near you will be used as the number associated with your account, and may or may not be in your area code. Caller ID will display that random number that was selected for you and some callers may block your call through Google Talk because of it. Setting up a Google Number is super easy and takes less than a minute for your to upgrade your account for free to have a number you can share with others and have calls forwarded to up to 6 other phone numbers on your account.
About.com has some Google Talk Advanced Features of note.
Google Talk is a great way to stay connected to friends and family for free. Quick and easy set-up and use, with multi-platform abilities make it an amazing deal for those of us who don’t want to pay for long distance or like the idea of super cheap international rates. Calls are crystal clear with a solid high-speed internet connection, and you can call from any device with Gmail and Google Talk installed.
If you have an Apple iPad, iTouch or iPhone, get this FREE app: Vtok – to use Google Talk with your device.
TalkaTone – also available for FREE in the Apple App Store – is another option.
Get some really cool software for FREE via Free Software from Serif.
Taken directly from Serif’s FREE downloads page…
The ultimate in desktop publishing software from Serif. PagePlus Starter Edition is an amazing free tool for designing fantastic print documents. Create everything from business cards to posters – fast.
WebPlus Starter Edition is Serif’s free web design software. This website design software is perfect for creating professional looking websites in minutes – no experience required!
PhotoPlus Starter Edition is the amazing free digital photo editing software from Serif. Download it now and start editing and enhancing your photos straight away.
Get creative with Serif’s free graphic design software, DrawPlus Starter Edition. Ideal for designing logos, sketching, painting and even making your own web graphics. Start drawing today! ** Great for use with Wacom Bamboo Create Pen Tablet!
MoviePlus Starter Edition is the amazing free movie editing software from Serif. Produce professional movies with easy drag-and-drop editing. Start creating your very own movies today!
The easy way to create a free panorama – PanoramaPlus Starter Edition. Make a beautiful city panorama and more besides!
If you want to get started with digital scrapbooking, Craft Artist – this software is the best free scrapbooking software around. Great for photobooks, greeting cards, invitations and more!
Craft Artist download
Download free content packs professionally designed here at Serif. Make your designs stand out! Choose from free website templates, free business card templates, free menu templates and more!
Tested to work by the Savvy Sleuth… If you have an Android device – phone or tablet – you need this app! Go to the Android Marketplace and search for ‘Box’. The app is free and once installed you’re given 50GB of free cloud storage!
This offer is only good through March 31st, 2012. You must download and install the app, then register to get the deal. A notification will immediately pop up on your Android device when you’ve completed your registration, letting you know you have 50GB free cloud storage on Box.net through this Android app.
Be aware that if you have more than one Android device and you want to get 50GB of storage for each, you will need to register them separately – after installing the Box Android app – with different email addresses on each device.
This is an amazing deal that comes out just in time for the holidays. What a great perk for all those new smartphones and tablet PC’s running the Android OS! It’s like doubling your Android gift to someone when you let ’em know about this great opportunity for free storage through their Android device and the Box.net app!
Cloud storage allows you to put your music, photos, and other files on a ‘server in the sky’ to easily access when you need ’em, but not jam up your Android device and take away precious storage on the device.
While the Box.net Android app isn’t showing up in Amazon’s Appstore yet, you can go to the ‘Market’ app on your Android phone or tablet to download it for free and get started enjoying life on the cloud.